Studies have stated that 1 in every 5 teenagers suffers from depression during their adolescence period. Thus, as a parent, it is your responsibility to take care of your teenage child and take appropriate steps in order to prevent him/her from becoming depressed and upset. Stated below are some of the top tips which you can consider to save your child from depression. Have a look at them –
1. Regular sleep – According to studies, it has been stated that teens who go to bed around 10.00 pm daily are 20-25% less likely to have suicidal thoughts or teenage depression. Thus, make sure that you child gets quality sleep of at least 8 hours in order to avoid mood swings and low spirits.
2. Positive life – There are many good things that happen in one’s everyday life. So make sure your son or daughter doesn’t miss to focus on those beautiful things. According to a recent study, it has been seen that people who appreciate the positive experiences of their everyday life can cope with negative emotions more easily.
3. Motivation – One of the best ways to deal with depression is by motivating your child as much as you can. Encourage his/her interests and offer positive or appreciative feedbacks. Don’t shout or scold your child if he/she is unable to do a job successfully. Always try to be a supportive guardian.
4. Counselling – Alike parents, a counsellor can also play an important role to prevent an adolescent child to experience depression. A professional and experienced counsellor in Bondi knows how to tackle and deal with this type of issue through proper guidance and natural sessions. So if you want to boost positivity in your child, then making an appointment with a counsellor is a must.
5. Communicate – As a parent, it is quite difficult to have an open line of communication with your adolescent child. But without proper communication, you won’t be able to know his/her mental condition and inner feelings. So always maintain a friendly relationship instead of becoming a possessive and aggressive guardian.
6. Help your child to cope with failure – It is not always possible to complete each and every task successfully. After all, failures are the pillars of success. Thus, if your child ever fails to achieve a targeted goal, then never blame him/her because this is one of the main reasons for conflict between parents and children. Instead help your child to cope with the failure and ask to focus on his or her future goals.
Thus in order to handle teenage depression efficiently, all the aforementioned tips should be considered. After all, as a responsible parent, it is your duty to help your child to live a happy and healthier life.